It is essential to keep baby teeth healthy to prevent your child from suffering from tooth pain and losing baby teeth prematurely. Baby teeth are essential for eating, smiling, talking, and holding the place for the adult teeth to erupt later on. If baby teeth are lost prematurely due to trauma or cavities, the result may be difficulty with eating and speech, damage to the adult teeth and the adult teeth erupting out of position.
– As soon as the first tooth erupts between 6-10 months old, it is essential to start using a toothbrush to clean it
– Clean your baby’s teeth after they have milk
– Never put your baby to bed with a bottle of milk, make sure you brush your baby’s teeth after a bottle and before bed
– Never dip a soother in anything sweet
– Begin using a fluoridated toothpaste around the age of three to minimize cavity risk. Only use toothpaste that is roughly the size of a grain of rice
– Use floss wands to floss your child’s teeth as soon as you notice two teeth touching each other.
– Reduce your child’s sugar intake and avoid sweets that are chewy, gummy and sticky as these types of sweets are retentive in teeth and lead to cavities
– Make sure you give your child sugar-free vitamins. Some vitamins, such as gummy vitamins, have as much sugar like candy and lead to cavities
– Make sure to take your child for their six month check up and cleanings. More frequent cleanings may even be recommended if they are cavity prone or build plaque easily
– Help your child brush their teeth. Between the age of 6-8, if you feel they are doing an adequate job, check their teeth after they brush to ensure they brushed adequately
Make sure to visit your dentist if your child complains of pain or sensitivity. Especially if you notice an adult tooth erupting behind a baby tooth and the baby tooth is not loose. If you see a chipped tooth or a discoloured area, or if there has been some form of trauma to a tooth or the mouth, they should see their dentist. If you have any questions about keeping baby teeth healthy, we encourage you to contact us today to schedule an appointment.