Nitrous Oxide Sedation Calms Fears
If you or one of your family members are anxious when you go to the dentist nitrous oxide sedation can calm your fears.
What is nitrous oxide sedation
Nitrous oxide is the gentlest form of sedation used by dentists. Nitrous oxide (or laughing gas) is a combination of nitrous oxide and oxygen which is inhaled to help you relax while you are awake during a dental procedure so that you can understand what you are asked to do and be able to do it.
What are the side effects?
There are some side effects to nitrous oxide sedation.
• Hazy memory which for some patients who have high anxiety can be good
• Nausea if you become nausea while using nitrous oxide tell your dentist right away
Advantages and disadvantages of nitrous oxide sedation
There are some advantages to using nitrous oxide sedation. Some of which are:
• The ability to relax and be calm
• It works fast
• The dentist can alter the depth of sedation quickly by turning the volume of nitrous up or down
• It is inhaled and not given by needle which for patients who are extremely afraid of needles nitrous oxide is a great benefit
• The gas is eliminated from the body within 5 minutes of stopping the inhalation of nitrous and does not cause the feeling of a drug haze or feelings of a hangover
Are there disadvantages to using nitrous oxide?
As with any form of sedation, there are some disadvantages.
• Some patients will not achieve a sufficient level of sedation
• If you are claustrophobic and cannot handle something over your face nitrous oxide is not going to be tolerable for you.
There are a few other minor disadvantages and if you would like to learn more contact Brooklin Village Dental Care.