Providing goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities
Brooklin Village Dental Care is committed to meeting its current and ongoing obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting non-discrimination.
Brooklin Village Dental Care understands that obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2002 (AODA) and its accessibility standards do not substitute or limit its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code or obligations to people with disabilities under any other law.
Brooklin Village Dental Care is committed to complying with both the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA.
Brooklin Village Dental Care is committed to excellence in serving all clients including people with disabilities.
Our accessible customer service policies are consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity for people with disabilities.
People with disabilities may use their personal assistive devices when accessing our goods, services or facilities.
In cases where the assistive device presents a significant and unavoidable health or safety concern or may not be permitted for other reasons, other measures will be used to ensure the person with a disability can access our goods, services or facilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices with on site or that we provide that may be used by clients with disabilities while access our goods, services or facilities.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability. This may include the following:
Pen and paper
Allowing for lip reading
We will work with the person with a disability to determine what method of communication works for them.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
When we cannot easily indentify that an animal is a service animal, our staff may ask a person to provide documentation (template, letter or form) from a regulated health professional that confirms the person needs the service animal for reason relating to their disability.
A service animal can be easily identified through visual indicators, such as when it wears a harness or a vest, or when it helps the person perform certain tasks.
A regulated health professional is defined as a member of one of the following colleges:
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario
- College of Chiropractors of Ontario
- College of Nurses of Ontario
- College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- College of Optometrists of Ontario
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- College of Psychologists of Ontario
- College of Registered Psychotherapists and Registered Mental Health Therapists of Ontario
If service animals are prohibited by another law, we will do the following to ensure people with disabilities can access our goods, services or facilities:
- Explain why the animal is excluded
- Discuss with the client another way of providing goods, services or facilities
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
Fees will not be charged for support person.
In certain cases, Brooklin Village Dental Care might require a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person for the health or safety reasons of:
- The person with the disability
- Other on the premises
Before making a decision, Brooklin Village Dental Care will:
- Consult with the person with a disability to understand their needs
- Consider health or safety reasons based on available evidence
- Determine if there is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person or others on the premises.
If Brooklin Village Dental Care determines that a support person is required, we will not charge any fees for the support person.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for clients with disabilities Brooklin Village Dental Care will notify clients promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
Brooklin Village Dental Care will provide accessible customer service training to:
- All employees and volunteers
- Anyone involved in developing our policies
- Anyone who provides goods, services or facilities to clients on our behalf.
Staff will be trained on accessible customer service within 30 days after being hired.
Training will include:
- Purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Brooklin Village Dental Care’s policies related to the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use and assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities. These include:
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Brooklin Village Dental Care’s goods, services or facilities
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to our accessible customer service policies.
Brooklin Village Dental Care welcomes feedback on how we provide accessible customer service. Customer feedback will help us identify barriers and respond to concerns.
Customers will be notified of how to provide feedback in the following ways:
- Written policy within office
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way Brooklin Village Dental Care provides goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities can provide feedback in the following ways:
All feedback will be directed to the Office Manager or Director of Operations.
Clients can expect to hear back in two (2) days.
Brooklin Village Dental Care will make sure our feedback process is accessible to people with disabilities by providing or arranging for accessible formats and communication supports, on request.
Notice of Availability of Documents
Brooklin Village Dental Care will notify the public that documents related to accessible customer service, are available upon request by posting a notice in the following locations:
- Front Desk
Brooklin Village Dental Care will provide this document in an accessible format or with communication support, on request. We will consult with the person making the request to determine the suitability of the format or request. We will consult with the person making the request to determine the suitability of the format or communication support. We will provide the accessible format in a timely manner and, at no additional cost.
Modifications to This or Other Policies
Any policies of Brooklin Village Dental Care do not respect and promote the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Updated May 12, 2021
Published November 12, 2015