Invisalign the new Braces
Braces are not just for teens anymore, today, there are more and more adults straightening their teeth. If you are considering Invisalign call Brooklin Village Dental Care for an appointment for a consultation on Invisalign.
Invisalign is a tray system of straightening your teeth instead of having traditional braces bonded to your teeth which have to be tightened.
How do Invisalign braces work?
The system combines several trays custom made for your mouth. Each tray is worn for 20 to 22 hours a day and puts constant pressure on your teeth to straighten your teeth. Every couple of weeks the tray you are wearing is traded out for a new tray. It takes 18 to 24 months for the Invisalign system to work.
The pros and cons
Invisalign has both pros and cons.
- Comfort: far more comfortable than traditional bonded braces which have to be tightened
- Ease of oral hygiene and eating: can be taken out while you eat and do your regular oral hygiene
- Invisible: no one but you will know that you are wearing them
- Less chance of tooth decay: compared to traditional braces that are bonded and hard to properly do oral hygiene these can be taken out making sure that your entire tooth area is cleaned twice daily
- May not work for you depending on the severity of the straightening you need to have done or you may need a bite correction also
- Not for people with bridge work
- May have pain from teeth movement as they straighten
Is Invisalign right for you
To find out if Invisalign is right for you, you will need to see your dentist. The dentist will first examine your teeth, may take x-rays, and then determine if you are a candidate for Invisalign or if you need more traditional braces.